The Penny Drop, Box Hill



WHAT’S ON THE MENU? (Dinner Menu…)
·         Kentucky Fried Tofu Mini Banh Mi, kimchi mayo, pickled daikon, coriander ($6.00 each)
·         Sweet and Sour Pork Knuckle, fried shallots, master stock glaze ($16.00)
·         Wagyu Beef Tartare, curd, cured egg yolk, sesame, fried kale ($18.00)
·         Son-in-law Eggs, red curry rice cake, kaffir lime, onion caramel ($12.00)







WHAT WE ATE...
The dinner menu consists of small, medium and large plates as well as burgers so you can either share or keep your meal all to yourself! I went for the ‘Orecchiette and Broccoli Pasta, black garlic, chilli, basil, salted ricotta ($18.50)’. This warmed me up on a cold night. The spiciness from the chilli, the intensity of the black garlic, and the saltiness from the ricotta added depth to this pasta dish. I loved it!  


My dining companion chose the ‘Wagyu Cheeseburger and Chips, tonkatsu sauce, cheddar, pickles, lettuce ($19.00)’. The Penny Drop also offers two other burgers. This burger was cooked medium rare which should please the meat lovers. The chips were nice and crunchy.


We thought we would have a dessert each rather than share tonight as we were feeling extra greedy… I opted for the ‘Mandarin BrĂ»lĂ©e, lychee, ginger biscuit ($13.00)’. Crème BrĂ»lĂ©e is my favourite dessert so I was keen to try this Asian inspired version. I thought it was brilliant! The heavenly, silky custard contained some mandarin segments which added interest. Whilst on top, the ginger biscuit added crunch and the lychees created a burst of freshness.


My dining companion picked the ‘Dark Chocolate Terrine, honeycomb, raspberry sorbet ($13.00)’. This was the last one left so obviously it is a hit with the diners. The raspberry sorbet counteracted the richness of the dark chocolate terrine whilst the honeycomb added some texture. Another great dish.


WHAT WE DRANK...
I ordered a glass of ‘Beachwood CuvĂ©e Brut ($8.00)’.


My dining companion ordered a ‘Peppermint and chocolate milkshake ($6.00)’.


OVERALL…
You know that really tall building in Box Hill that stands out in the skyline? Well, that is where the ATO is and the location of Box Hill’s new eatery, The Penny Drop. I love how the menu makes funny monetary references as a nod to its ATO neighbours. Head chef Daniel McDonald has created an Asian influenced menu that turns your regular cafĂ© pancakes into a ‘Buttermilk Hotcake Stack, coconut foam, black sesame & pistachio dukkah, raspberry compote, palm sugar caramel ($17.50)’. When I visit The Penny Drop for lunch, I think I will try the ‘Potato and Garlic Chive Waffle, poached eggs, ham, hollandaise, wakame ($18.50)’… On this occasion I visited for dinner and was very pleased with the wonderful service, modern design, and yummy food.   




Address: 913 Whitehorse Road, Box Hill, VIC

Phone: 03 9077 7455



Trading Hours:
Mon – Sat: 7.00am – 10.00pm
Sun: 7.00am – 3.00pm

The Penny Drop Menu, Reviews, Photos, Location and Info - Zomato


P.S. Other eateries nearby are Gourmet Girl, Zimt and Mister + Miss CafĂ©… 


Comments

Popular Posts