WHAT’S ON THE MENU?
· Char spanner crab egg crepe, bean shoot salad, water chestnut, lemon sorbet ($24.00) *Gluten Free
· Lobster donut burger, green mango and papaya slaw, cucumber jam, sriracha kimpi mayo, salt and pepper ($24.50)
· Egg brulee, bread and butter pickled zucchini, artichoke, toast ($16.00)
· Black Russian Salad - red egg, tomato, candied olive, bulls blood lettuce, black rice wafer, liquorice and vanilla dressing ($18.00) *Gluten Free
· Lavender bagel, fresh honeycomb, whipped buffalo ricotta ($12.00)
WHAT WE ATE...
The menu definitely ventures away from your usual café fare and makes an exciting change from eggs on toast. I decided to have the ‘Grilled lychee and passionfruit chia pudding, macadamia, hemp seed crumble, blood orange ($14.00)’ which coincidentally is a gluten free and vegan option from the menu. I thought this may be a bit small for my mammoth appetite but the dish turned out to be a lot bigger than I expected. I loved how this dish was not overly sweet, it was indeed quite bitter in parts. It looked gorgeous and all the elements complemented each other. The passionfruit jelly was a delightful addition.
My dining companion picked the ‘Rainbow Salad - fermented vegetables, puffed rice, almonds, buffalo curd, walnut and apple dressing ($17.50)’. This dish needs quite a bit of improvement. It was a visually stunning dish but in terms of edibility was rather disappointing. I’m not sure who would enjoy some rock-hard rice scattered over their salad... The vegetables were beautifully prepared but the almonds were scarce.
WHAT WE DRANK...
At home, I tend to drink a lot of Rooibos but don’t often see it on café menus. I was pleased to see it included on Mammoth’s drinks list ($4.00). My latte ($4.00) made with Five Senses Coffee was okay. It was creamy and had a robust flavour but was very cold. Probably just a few teething problems that will be sorted out once the café gets going.
The service was fantastic. The team worked as though Mammoth had been open for years. This was probably due to the fact that they have used experienced professionals that have worked for them before.
Address: 736 Malvern Road, Armadale, VIC
Phone: 03 9824 5239
Mon – Fri: 7.00am – 3.30pm
Sat – Sun: 7.30am – 4.00pm