This week everybody is baking hot cross buns (I’m guilty...) or chocolate-based Easter treats. Instead, why not try baking something else... Something sweet but also zingy and gorgeous. These blondies make a change from chocolate brownies and are ideal for the chocolate haters in your friendship circle...
|Blondies (can you spot the bee hovering?)|
This recipe is adapted from a recipe from Australian Good Taste magazine - July 2010.
· 250g butter
· 1 ½ cups caster sugar
· 4 eggs
· 1 ½ cups plain flour
· 1 cup desiccated coconut
· 3 teaspoons finely grated mixture of lemon and lime zest
· 1/4 cup fresh lemon and lime juice
· Icing sugar, to dust
· Preheat oven to 180ºC or 160ºC fan-forced. Line a 20 x 30cm (base measurement) slab pan with non-stick baking paper.
· Melt the butter in a saucepan over medium heat. Remove from heat. Stir in sugar. Add eggs, 1 at a time, and stir until mixture is thick and glossy.
· Sift the flour over the egg mixture and stir until well combined. Stir in coconut, zest and juice. Spread over base of prepared pan.
· Bake for 30 minutes or until a skewer inserted into the centre comes out clean. Set aside in the pan to cool completely. Cut into pieces. Dust with icing sugar.