Banana Cupcakes (Makes 12 Cupcakes)
· 90g butter, chopped
· 1/2 cup brown sugar
· 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
· 2 free-range eggs
· 1 cup self-raising flour
· 2 very ripe bananas, mashed
· 1 tsp cinnamon
· ½ tsp nutmeg
· 2 tbs milk, if needed
1. Preheat oven to 180°C (160°C fan). Line a 12-hole muffin pan with paper cases.
2. Using an electric mixer, beat butter, vanilla and sugar together until light and fluffy. Add eggs, one at a time, beating well after each addition. Add mashed banana. Fold in flour and spices. Add milk if needed to create the right consistency. Spoon mixture into the paper cases, using a spatula to smooth surfaces of each cake.
3. Bake for 20 minutes, until springy to touch. Turn out onto a wire rack to cool completely.
Salted Caramel Icing
· 1 cup firmly packed brown sugar
· 100g butter, chopped
· 4 tablespoons milk
· 1 cup icing sugar mixture
· A couple of pinches of sea salt flakes
1. Place brown sugar, butter, salt and milk in a saucepan over low heat. Cook, stirring, for 2 minutes (don’t boil) or until sugar dissolves. Increase heat to medium. Bring to the boil. Reduce heat to low. Cook for 2 to 3 minutes or until slightly thickened. Remove from heat. Stir in icing sugar until smooth. Cool for a couple of minutes. Ice your cupcakes and sprinkle with a little bit of sea salt. If icing solidifies, put back on heat to warm a little.