Weekend Away - Bellarine Peninsula Part 2

Breakfast: Day 2 & 3

For breakfast on Sunday, we went to Beaches Café in Queenscliff. It was so good that we also had breakfast there again on Monday!










Their lattes ($3.50) using Jasper coffee were the perfect way to start the day. The first morning I had the ‘Pancakes: two pancakes with maple syrup and ice-cream ($10.00)’. They had the perfect ratio of ice-cream to maple syrup. The fluffy pancakes were cooked evenly and the bonus sliced strawberry added some tartness. 
 
Pancakes

My dining companion chose the ‘Toasted Egg and Bacon Focaccia ($9.50)’. This was also a wonderful breakfast option.

Toasted Egg and Bacon Focaccia
 
The next morning I was ravenous so I picked the ‘Vegetarian Breakfast: Free range eggs, tomato, mushrooms, spinach on thick toast ($13.50)’. This was a very generous breakfast indeed.

Vegetarian Breakfast

My dining companion opted for one of their specials. The ‘B.L.T. with chutney and cheese ($10.00)’. This was even better than yesterday’s breakfast apparently...

B.L.T.
 
Beaches Café is a fantastic cafe to try if you are down in Queenscliff...

 
Address: 84 Hesse St, Queenscliff, VIC

Phone: 03 5258 4470

Beaches Café on Urbanspoon

 
After breakfast, we dropped by the Point Lonsdale Primary School Market which operates on the second Sunday of each month from 9am to 2pm. They had this amazing produce stall that had the cheapest fruit and vegetables. We bought as much as we could fit into the car... I wish this market was closer to home as I would definitely be a regular visitor.

 
 
Then it was off to Portarlington to enjoy the National Celtic Festival. So many talented musicians in the one location... The music was fantastic! The sword fighting was also fun to watch. We spent the day drinking Guinness and enjoying some Celtic cuisine. I did avoid the haggis though... Also, a tip for all the single ladies out there: This festival is packed full of gorgeously rugged Celtic men! So maybe head down to the festival next year with your girlfriends...
 
 


Dinner: Day 2

We booked a table for dinner at the Couta Boat Café at the Queenscliff Inn. The beautiful Inn was built in 1902 and looked very warm and inviting. Well, it was rather on the cool side actually...

 
Anyway, I chose the ‘Point Lonsdale lager battered fish and chips, rocket salad with Grana Padano cheese, confit tomato, balsamic olive oil and aioli ($21.90)’. This was a major disappointment. The frozen chips were undercooked and were quickly avoided. The fish started off okay until I realised that it had not been scaled properly. It wasn’t just one or two scales either. It was huge patches of scales that remained on the fillets! The best part of the meal was the salad which was so much better than the salad from the night before. I ended up having a very healthy meal of just salad...

Fish and Chips




I washed down my fish scales with a Flying Brick Original Cider ($8.00). It was the highlight of the night. It was nice and dry, which I always prefer.

Flying Brick Cider

My dining companion went for the ‘Bouillabaisse: fresh local seafood in a tomato and saffron broth with roasted red pepper rouille croutons ($28.90)’. The dish was quite nice but the mussels were tiny and overcooked.

Bouillabaisse

I think I will head over to the Vue Grand instead next time I am in Queenscliff...

 
Address: 59 Hesse St, Queenscliff, VIC

Phone: 03 5258 4600

Facebook

Website

Couta Boat Cafe on Urbanspoon

 


Comments

Popular Posts