Scarvelli Cafe

So you are in the Deepdene area and you want to grab a coffee or some lunch... Option number one would probably be Snow Pony but that can be quite busy at times and frankly the service is pretty slack. Well, now you have a new option. Head down the road to Scarvelli’s. There is a courtyard out the back to enjoy when the weather is pleasant but when we dined there it was drizzling so we chose to sit inside.

 
 

Items on the menu include the ‘Cheeky Piggy ($19.00): Slow braised pork cheek, sauerkraut, gruyere and gherkins, on a toasted bun’ and the ‘Dukkah Eggs ($17.50): Crumbed poached eggs, cauliflower purée, pomegranate, pine nuts, and sautéed spinach’. We ordered our food but it did not arrive for a long, long time... There were not many patrons at the time so I’m not sure why there was such a lengthy wait.

 
Luckily, our coffees materialized fairly promptly. Scarvelli uses Industry Beans and my latte was one of the best I have had recently.
 
My Latte
 

An hour later and I was considering eating my serviette as I was so hungry but thankfully our meals finally appeared. I picked ‘Scarvelli’s Benedict ($18.50): Poached eggs, grilled asparagus, mushrooms, and buerre noisette béarnaise on rosemary and potato bread.’ This dish was rich and decadent, with a generous serve of sautéed mushrooms. It definitely hit the spot.  

Scarvelli's Benedict
 
My dining companion chose the ‘Rolling In ($11.00): Fried egg, bacon, rocket, aged cheddar, and hollandaise on a brioche bun’. The oozing yolk mingled with the rich hollandaise and made this meal very moreish indeed. It was a splendid dish that my companion was very happy with.

Rolling In
 
Even though we did have a long wait, I preferred Scarvelli’s to Snow Pony and I will definitely be back to have another of their amazing coffees.

 
Address: 143 Whitehorse Road, Balwyn, VIC

Phone: 03 9816 8887


Twitter

Trading Hours: Mon – Fri: 7.00am – 4.30pm
                Sat: 8.00am – 4.30pm
              Sun: 8.00am – 3.30pm
 
Scarvelli Cafe on Urbanspoon
 
 

Comments

Popular Posts