Chez Dré

Tucked away down a laneway in South Melbourne is Chez Dré. It is a large, modern space with an open kitchen and a sheltered courtyard. As we were in the area, we decided to have afternoon tea here. Chez Dré also has a breakfast and lunch menu which can be found on their website. We put our name down on the waiting list and were told it would be about a twenty minute wait. This didn’t bother us as it allowed us to have a wander around the South Melbourne Market. When we returned, we were placed inside at the end of one of the communal tables. I quite like communal tables now... you get to see what everyone else is ordering. Everyone that served us was very friendly. We started with some coffee. The coffee is roasted by The Maling Room so I was expecting great things. Our lattes ($3.80) were indeed delicious. I would even go as far as saying that they were perfect. I would like another one right now... The beautiful array of cakes and macarons made it difficult to decide on just one.

 
I was tempted by the Passion fruit tart ($8.50) with the mini passionfruit macaron on top. The Peanut butter, caramel, and brownie cake ($8.50) sounded decadent with its pecan brownie, salted caramel, peanut crunch, and peanut butter mousse. The Lime-basil macaron ($3.00) also intrigued me but in the end I went with the cake special ($8.50). This consisted of white chocolate mousse, raspberry jelly, pistachio financier, and lemon cream with a fresh raspberry on top. This was incredibly yummy and I really hope they make this a permanent addition to their menu.
 
White Chocolate Mousse Cake
My friend went with the Lychee, raspberry, and coconut cake ($8.50). Coconut dacquoise, lime curd, raspberry jelly, and mascarpone mousse that formed a delightful pink dome of sweet bliss. My friend loved it. Next time I am definitely buying some macarons to go...
 
Lychee, Raspberry & Coconut Cake
 
Address: 287 Coventry St (rear), South Melbourne, VIC.
 
Phone: 03 9690 2688
 
 
 

Chez Dré on Urbanspoon
 

Comments

Popular Posts