Cafe de Beaumarchais

A French cafe in the Dandenongs... my inner Francophile says this is somewhere I must try. Today was the perfect opportunity as Sassafras was actually quiet. I know that is hard to believe but it’s true. Cafe de Beaumarchais is located on Miss Marple’s side of the road. The cafe is quite small and is comprised of multiple two-seater tables with some additional tables out the front. We easily found a table as it was not busy today. The menu is made up of mostly quiches and baguettes. Overall, the menu is rather good value. Lighter meals are also available such as a Ham, cheese, and tomato croissant ($6.50). I considered having a baguette (prices ranging from $8.90 to $10.90) like the Vegetarian which is filled with basil pesto, tomato, lettuce, cucumber and tasty cheese. However, this sounded like a pretty boring option for vegetarians. Not that I am a vegetarian anymore... I just really like vegetarian food... Instead I thought I would try a savoury flan ($12.90) with garden salad and tomato chutney. There are three flavours to choose from but I decided on the Salmon, fetta and dill option. A small wedge of quiche was presented on a chipped, blue-rimmed white plate. The quiche and tomato chutney were very yummy but the salad was very dull. Just salad leaves, a hint of red onion, and one-tenth of a tomato. However, my friend was lucky enough to receive a more balanced salad. My friend chose the Quiche Lorraine ($8.90). A small, individual quiche filled with egg, bacon, and onion served again with a fresh garden salad and tomato chutney. Tasty but left my companion hungry for more. Maybe this is a ploy to get you to buy a cake. The larger cakes were $6.90 and were very pretty and enticing. Our lattes ($3.50) were really strong but that may be how the French like them. Coffee here also comes in a French Bowl style ($5.50). No table service provided here which is a shame but maybe I have just been spoilt lately... 



Address: Shop 1, 372 Mt Dandenong Tourist Rd, Sassafras, VIC. 

Phone: 03 9755 1100

Facebook

Cafe de Beaumarchais on Urbanspoon

Comments

Popular Posts