Mr Foxx

I was revisiting the site where my lovely grandfather’s butcher shop once stood near Gardiner Station. It was demolished for the Monash Freeway long before my time but it is interesting to be able to visualise the place of so many of his amusing anecdotes. Anyway, as it was lunch time we thought we would try a cafe in nearby Malvern Road. We came upon Mr Foxx which looked very inviting with its comfy green chairs. The service was excellent and they were eager to help.





We started with some coffee. My latte ($3.60) using Padre Coffee and Saint David Dairy milk was wonderful. I’ve had a number of coffees using Saint David Dairy milk at other cafes and I am definitely seeing a trend with amazing coffee and the use of this milk. It really makes the coffee more luscious.   

Latte
 
The lunch menu at Mr Foxx is concise but interesting and great value. How about ‘Pan roasted mild chilli pork sausages with crushed potatoes and braised cabbage ($17.00)’ or for vegetarians the ‘Falafel and labneh yoghurt salad with parsley, mint, pickled beetroot, red onion, cauliflower, pomegranate and shanklish ($16.50)’? I ordered the ‘Atlantic Salmon Fish Cakes with tartare sauce, fresh herb salad and green peas ($17.00)’. Two enormous, golden fish cakes made mostly of mashed potato were very filling but delicious. The perfect amount of creamy tartare sauce complimented the fish cakes. The succulent peas and the herb salad added freshness and I must say that despite the size of the dish, barely a trace remained on my plate.
 
Fish Cakes

 
My dining companion went for the ‘Mr Foxx Beef Burger with shoestring fries – lettuce, tomato, caramelised onion, cheese, dill pickles, dijonnaise and tomato sauce on brioche roll ($17.00)’. This was also a brilliant meal and I think I will try this next time. Didn’t stop me stealing some fries though...

Burger
 
Being the custard lover that I am, their vanilla slice ($6.00) was enticing me from the glass cabinet next to me but alas I could not eat anymore! Mr Foxx is a magnificent cafe that you should absolutely try...


Address: 1491 Malvern Road, Glen Iris, VIC

Phone: 03 9821 0001



Trading Hours:
Mon – Sat: 7.00am – 4.30pm
            Sun: 8.00am – 4.30pm

Mr Foxx on Urbanspoon
 
 
 
 

Comments

Popular Posts