Axil Coffee Roasters

The worst thing about the summer break is that many of the cafés are closed for business. Therefore, your favourite café may be unavailable causing you to seek an alternative place to get your caffeine fix. Well my lovely readers, I was awash with very average coffee over the summer break... To bring in the new foodie year, I needed to start with somewhere that is known for good coffee. Where better to begin than with the café that won the Best Coffee award in The Age Good Café guide. Axil Coffee Roasters is a large, stylish venue in Hawthorn. It was absolutely packed the day we were there. Obviously everyone had suffered from bad coffee over the summer... As the weather was fine, we sat out the front at one of the communal tables.
 

We ordered some coffees to start with. My latte ($3.80) was as fantastic as I had hoped. Finally the substandard coffee curse has been broken! Nearly ordered another one but didn’t want to overdo it... 

Latte

I decided to have the Red velvet pancakes with black sesame ice-cream, raspberries, and cream cheese ganache ($16.50). This was definitely a chocoholic’s delight. I’m not a chocoholic though so it was a tad too rich for me. Although the raspberries helped, it needed a bit more of the cream cheese ganache to cut back the intensity. The black sesame ice-cream was really interesting though and tasted great.

Red Velvet Pancakes

My dining companion chose the Housemade salmon pastrami with celeriac croquettes, pickled zucchini, beetroot relish, egg and caper sauce ($20.00). This dish was really delicious and I will probably order this next time I visit.

Smoked Salmon Pastrami

The waitresses at Axil were so efficient and thankfully didn’t forget us out the front even though they were incredibly busy. My new year’s prediction: I will be dropping by Axil for a coffee quite often in the coming year...


Address: 322 Burwood Rd, Hawthorn, VIC

Phone: 03 9819 0091




Trading Hours: Open seven days 07.00 – 16.00
 
Axil Coffee Roasters on Urbanspoon
 
 

Comments

Popular Posts