Rubiki


Baked Gnocchi with cauliflower and pea cream and toasted almonds? Sounds just like my cup of tea... Rubiki is tucked behind the Ringwood North shops. Head chef, Ben Duncan, uses food sourced from local producers and uses only free-range eggs, small goods, chicken and pork and grass-fed beef and lamb. The new Winter menu had just arrived the weekend we tried Rubiki. Although the Winter menu was very appealing, I did find the menu lacked smaller and lower priced meals with most meals priced in the high teens. The interior was industrial with a black roof and concrete floor. The hanging pot plants and soft lighting mellowed the space.



WHAT’S ON THE MENU?
·        Parisian Breakfast – Confit garlic, onion and chilli, sautéed with mushrooms, kale, tomato and pickled lemon topped with fresh herbs and goats cheese served on grilled sourdough ($18.00)
·        Rubiki’s Benedict – Poached eggs with slab bacon accompanied by a caponata salsa, drizzled with a blood orange hollandaise ($18.00)
·        Winter’s Ploughman – Corned beef, cauliflower gratin, cornichons, Dijon mustard and potato and rosemary sourdough ($22.00)
·        Shepherd’s Pie with garlic and rosemary potato crisps ($18.00)


WHAT WE ATE...
I decided to have the ‘Baked Gnocchi with cauliflower and pea cream and toasted almonds ($19.00)’. The waitress insisted that I add a slab of bacon ($4.50), which I declined. The triangles of charred gnocchi were covered in the luscious, velvety cauliflower sauce. A pop of freshness was provided from the peas and the toasted almonds added texture. It wasn’t too rich despite having a creamy sauce.

Baked Gnocchi

My dining companion chose the ‘House-made Baked Beans with toasted sourdough and roasted field mushroom drizzled with truffle infused vincotto ($16.00)’. The waitress suggested a poached egg ($2.50) be added to the dish which my dining companion agreed to. The beans were rich and flavoursome and the mushrooms tasted wonderful. However, it would have been enhanced by some added chorizo or a crumbling of feta. Also, a bit of fresh herb action on top wouldn’t have gone astray...

Baked Beans

WHAT WE DRANK...
A ‘Honeycomb Milkshake ($7.00)’ was definitely tempting me as was the Larsen and Thompson English Breakfast Tea ($4.00)... However, I chose coffee. My latte ($3.80) made with Padre Seasonal Blend coffee was very weak indeed. I’m not sure if my frothed milk even contained coffee... No latte art either.

Latte

SERVICE...
The service was indeed very friendly but I did find that the up-selling on absolutely everything we ordered to be very off-putting...



Address: 204 Warrandyte Road, Ringwood North, Melbourne, VIC

Phone: 03 9879 0869


  
Trading Hours:
Mon – Fri: 7.30am – 4.30pm
Sat – Sun: 8.00am – 3.00pm

Click to add a blog post for Rubiki on Zomato


P.S. Other eateries nearby are Tokyo Sake, Mister Fox, and The Firehouse...



Comments

  1. The gnocchi does sound delicious although I am with you, it doesn't really need bacon added to it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That gnocchi sounds great and it is always lovely to see some nice vegetarian menu items

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yum! That all sounds amazing. I don't think I would have had as much self control to decline the bacon though!!! I'll have to check it out next time I'm around that way!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts