Serves 8 (Big serves!)
· 125g butter, chopped
· 1/2 cup (100g) brown sugar
· 1 teaspoon vanilla essence
· 2 free-range eggs
· 2 tbs milk (if the mixture is a little dry)
· 1/2 cup (75g) plain flour
· 1/2 cup (75g) self-raising flour
· 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
· 1/2 cup (60g) walnuts, coarsely ground
· 2 apples, quartered, cored, very thinly sliced
· 2 tablespoons apricot jam
1. Preheat oven to 190°C (conventional). Grease and line a 26cm x 16cm slab pan.
2. Use an electric beater to beat butter, sugar and vanilla essence until pale and creamy. Beat in eggs. Fold in flours, cinnamon, walnuts, and milk (if needed). Spoon into pan. Smooth. Place apple slices into mixture in three long rows, skin side up.
3. Bake for 30 minutes or until cake springs back when gently touched. Set aside for 5 minutes before transferring to a wire rack. Heat apricot jam in the microwave until runny. Brush over top of slice. Cut into squares. Serve warm, or at room temperature.