Nieuw Amsterdam

Nieuw Amsterdam is a sophisticated bar and restaurant in the CBD serving mouth-watering American food. We dropped by for lunch and headed upstairs to the restaurant. The interior was dark and mysterious with exposed brick walls and a marble topped bar. We did not have a booking but it wasn’t a problem as there were a few tables available.

 

 
The lunch menu consists of dishes such as ‘New York Clam Chowder with leeks, bacon, potatoes and clam veloute ($21.00)’ and the ‘Baked Eggplant Sandwich with sumac onions, fresh mozzarella, basil and olive oil ($14.00)’.

 
 

I thought I would try a ‘BBQ Meat Tray ($22.00) served with cabbage salad, mash and gravy, pickles, bread and sauce’. Out of the three options of beef brisket, spiced chicken, or pork belly chops, I chose the beef brisket. So full of flavour! The brisket was tender and smoky, the potato purĂ©e was rich and creamy, and the house made bread was perfect for mopping up the burly sauce. I especially loved the cabbage salad with the crispy shallots. I could have had a big bowl of it.
 
BBQ Meat Tray with beef brisket

My dining companion picked the ‘Nieuw Reuben: BBQ beef brisket, sauerkraut, pickles, cheese, Sriracha mayo ($16.00)’. What a massive meal! The sandwich was delicious but the accompanying salad was a bit too salty. The Rueben also came with some brilliant chips that were crisp and fluffy. I did manage to steal a few...
 
Nieuw Reuben

Most of the staff were friendly and efficient but one of the waitresses was quite gruff and lethargic. Perhaps she was still suffering the effects of a late night... If I had room for dessert, I would have loved to try the ‘Pumpkin Donuts with Kentucky bourbon cream ($12.00)’. The food at Nieuw Amsterdam was both hearty and comforting and I am keen to try their dinner menu and possibly a cocktail or two...


Address: 106-112 Hardware Street, Melbourne, VIC

Phone: 03 9602 2111



 
Nieuw Amsterdam on Urbanspoon
 
 
 

Comments

Popular Posts