Fortnums


A glass conservatory frontage is one of the charms of this quaint eatery in Sassafras. It would make a lovely, romantic place to have a wedding reception and luckily this is a service that they do indeed provide. Perhaps something to remember when I feel that way inclined... Anyway, we were fortunate enough today to gain a table in the corner of the conservatory section. This was definitely the best seat in the house although sitting near the parrot feeder would also be pleasant. I decided to have something from the specials board, the Roast pumpkin gnocchi served with a creamy bacon and sun-dried tomato sauce ($18.90). This was a very satisfying meal. My only suggestion would be that having a pumpkin puree in the sauce disguised the flavour of the pumpkin gnocchi. Omitting the pumpkin from the sauce would help highlight the lovely pumpkin gnocchi. My friend chose the Roast Beef ($18.90) with crispy potatoes, seasonal vegetables, gravy, and their special gourmet chutney on the side. The potatoes, beans, and carrots were delightful with the delicious gravy really lifting the meal. A clean plate suggests that this was also a satisfying meal. The desserts here are $10.90. If I had room for a dessert I would have the Sticky date pudding as it’s no secret that I absolutely adore puddings... perhaps due to my English/Irish roots... Nevertheless, today we felt like a Devonshire Tea ($8.80). Two warm scones with double whipped cream and homemade berry jam. The scones were cooked to perfection and the jam was fantastic. I would have loved more cream though but that’s just me... To go with my Devonshire Tea I ordered some Darjeeling tea ($3.80) which is one of my favourites. I’m glad I chose tea over coffee today as my friend’s latte ($3.80) was quite unpleasant. However, the table service here was faultless and we had a very enjoyable time at Fortums.



Address: 395 Mt Dandenong Tourist Road, Sassafras, VIC

Phone: 03 9755 1200


Fortnums on Urbanspoon


Comments

Popular Posts